Thursday, 11 November 2010

The Enchanted Palace and Kensington Gardens

On a sunny day off, myself and Helen visited Kensington Palace and the exhibition, The Enchanted Palace. The palace is under construction and is closed to the public and so this exhibition has been set up to keep people visiting. The idea of the exhibition is to combine fashion and set design with state apartments to tell the stories of the seven princess' that have lived there. Visitors must make their way around the apartments and look for clues to try and name the seven princesses. The highlights of this exhibition could be found in almost every room, the sets created were indeed beautiful and at some times very eerie. With collaborations from Dame Vivienne Westwood and Paul Costelloe this was a beautiful way to learn about history but there just wasn't enough for me to read, I thought the exhibition was very expensive for what it was and I didn't feel as though I had learnt a great deal when I left. However I am glad we went and spent a few hours enjoying the last of the suns heat for this year exploring Kensington Gardens.
One sneaky photo from inside the palace.
Huge dolls created by designer Paul Costelloe
for the room of a sleeping princess.
Decorations to tie in with The Enchanted Palace exhibition,
you can see the palace under construction behind the gardens
Sky Mirror by Anish Kapoor from the exhibition Turning The World upside Down
This exhibition included four mirrored sculptures set up around the gardens reflecting the sky. Very stunning to come across.
Beautiful, beautiful day
Albert on his memorial in the gardens

We also visited the Serpentine Gallery.
I was not taken by the exhibition by Klara Liden but the gallery is
very nice and I will be keeping an eye out for what is on.

All shot on colour negative film, using my Contax T2

No comments:

Post a Comment